Monday, June 3, 2013

Waterval - Porterville.

For quite some time I had been thinking about going to stay over at Waterval Campsite, near Porterville. Several friends said that they had heard it was lovely and I was also very curious to see the hike there that apparantly went up alongside a series of spectacular waterfalls.

Our friend, Toni came around for supper one night and suggested that we go there for a weekend, so we jumped at the idea. 

We set off around 4.00pm on a Friday afternoon and needed to get there fairly early at it was now the end of April and starting to get dark soon after 6.00pm. It was quite a quick and easy ride to Porterville until we encountered the last few kilometers of gravel road to the campsite. The last stretch was fairly horrendous and we had to take it slow.

We checked in at the reception and found our allocated site near the river that flows through the place. It was a lovely setting but fairly far from the nearest ablution block. I also noticed that there was not a tap to be seen anywhere. Toni and her boyfriend, Freddie arrived a bit later and we got the fire started and had an enjoyable evening.

Early on Saturday morning I set off for my early morning shower as is usual for me, before anyone else was awake and it was my first chance to really check out the ablutions. I can only say they were designed by an idiot. There were 2 toilets opposite 2 showers with a narrow gap of less than 1 metre between them. The showers were extremely cramped and no space whatsover for changing in. The was not a hook in sight to hang your stuff on and you had to leave your clothes, towel etc on the floor in the gap between the showers and the toilets. There was one tiny wash basin for brushing your teeth, also with nothing to even put your toiletries bag down on while you did this. Good job I had the place to myself is all I can say. Later in the day I subsequently saw that there were 2 other ablution facilities but on checking them out, saw they were identical to the one I had used that morning.

The hike up to the waterfalls was indeed lovely and they are really spectacular. It is also pretty easy.

Here are a couple of photo's. The kloof with the waterfalls can be seen in the first and in the second is Colleen, Toni, Freddie and his daughter, Emma.

Waterval Porterville.

Skipper Tent Trailer
 


No comments:

Post a Comment